Monday, April 13, 2009

Full Throttle - Day 1

My friend, Mark, has been encouraging me to join him in working out for a few days. He told me I could try it out for a week and see if it is something I would like to do. Well, Mark is in great shape and competes in national martial arts competitions, and I have never really worked out at all in my life, so I was not sure if I would do it. However, I knew getting into shape was something I needed to do. At 6am this morning I joined Mark at Full Throttle Athletics for my first workout in years. I had watched the videos posted on the Full Throttle website but still had no idea what to really expect. I was nervous, but I was a bit excited. So, I got there a few minutes early and met BJ. BJ was such a nice guy and was very upbeat and positive. So, we stretched a little while and got started. I thought it was pretty cool that I was working out right alongside Mark, who is in great shape, and I did not feel inferior at all. Within the first 10 minutes of an intense workout, I thought I was going to pass out! I had made my mind up before going in that I would NOT be dramatic and would continue to workout no matter how tired I was. However, I did not expect to become light headed. I had to stop and have a seat, and I tried to be as nondramatic about it as possible. I was disappointed in myself for not finishing, but I also knew that I had pushed my body farther than I had pushed my body in years, and it helped that BJ and Mark were so positive and encouraging. I have done low carb diets, fad diets, and tried to lose weight in other ways, but I have never liked working out (not that I had tried, but any kind of cardio or weights has always turned me off), and I never really cared to do so. However, once I was done, I realized that this could be the start of something amazing for me. This could be the start of a transformation. I will give it a try for the week and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment